The residence of Bishops in Como was built in 1013, both as a defensive structure for the religious authority, Alberico Bishop, and as a display of his power.
During the second half of the 15th century, Branda Castiglioni, Bishop of Como for about twenty years, decided to widen and beautify the original building, adding a wing to connect his residence to the lake and have an easy access to his vessel.
Both the ground floor, enriched with a columned porch and the first floor, embellished with arched windows, faced a lavish garden leading to the lake.
The building, still showing elements of the original structure, underwent heavy interventions, including the construction of an overpass, joining the Palazzetto with the main bishop residence.
In 1992 the Palazzetto was further renovated and divided into three different residential units.
By the end of 2002 the new owner, the businessman Giovanni Maspero decided to renovate the building to carry out his smart project. Not only he restored an important historical area in the heart of Como, but also transformed it in the location of a high quality restaurant connected with an art gallery, thus giving the site a new life.
The authentic, original aspect was given back to the palace. All the architectonical elements such as wooden panels and stone floors were disassembled, polished and repositioned with a view to integrate and hide the necessary modern equipment. Among the different ornaments of the Castiglioni family still detectable, we can appreciate the decorated wooden panel ceiling, the stone floor in the entrance hall and the terracotta-tiled arches and frames of the windows.